Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Bob Schneider - Live at the Knitting Factory, NYC 7/13/07

Again? Another Bob Schneider post? You're damn right it's another Bob Schneider post. I'm going to hammer this into your head until you become as big of a fan as I am or I'll die trying.

Fine, that was a little too over dramatic, but you get the picture.

I almost forgot that Bob was playing here in NYC until the week of the concert. You may remember a few performances that I saw with Little Gun in the great state of Texas not too long ago, as well as one I've alluded to with Jack the Rabbit in September of '06 at the Knitting Factory (surprise post coming when you least expect it). Well I've got big news - they both missed out. This last concert may have been the premiere BSchneids show. I will say that the '06 concert has a possible leg up due to the fact that Bob played requests from the audience in an intimate solo acoustic show, but this last show was unbelievable.

Playing with his full band in one of my most beloved small venues in NYC, Bob rocked out with old favorites and new classics to a well-versed and attentive audience.

There were so many great things that happened on this night that I'll really focus on one:

He opened with my all-time favorite song - "The King of the World."

Now I know I've ranted on and on about how "Oklahoma" is my newest song of choice, and for good reason, but "The King of the World" has always been my favorite. A 10 minute story of "big dreams" and "smoke filled bars," I've played "The King of the World" in the best and the worst of times. And every time, I've always felt better by the end of it.

I didn't know that Bob played this live due to the length of the song and I basically have always told myself to never expect it, but when I first heard those acoustic picks to start off the show, I started getting jittery. Could it be? Well it was and I almost jumped out of the bar. While different live, as I should've known, it was just extraordinary. With respect to our Top 25 Most Played lists, "The King of the World" was my number one for a long time with well over 50 plays, which should say something for a 10+ minute epic.

Bob Schneider - (studio version)
*The King of the World.mp3

I almost don't know what else to say for the rest of the night because the whole night took off like a rocket after the first song. Favorites abounded and a few songs stood out for me but I'll leave the experience up to you.

If anyone knows the name of the song at the end of Mudhouse (which loses a bit of its intensity/awesomeness when not seen live), I'd be much appreciated. I heard it in Austin with Little Gun to close out the night at Saxon Pub, but I still don't have a name for it. Same goes for the second to last track.

And seriously, enjoy the final song - a double song of the classic "Assknocker" right into a jump-up-and-down version of "Sex Machine" that went at least another 5 minutes longer than the recording allowed.

Rock on Bob. Rock on.

Bob Schneider - Live at the Knitting Factory 7/13/07
DISC 1:
  1. The King of the World
  2. Bullets
  3. Game Plan
  4. Piggyback
  5. Rollin'
  6. Big Blue Sea
  7. A Long Way to Get
  8. It's Not the End of Everything--Mix It Up
  9. Boom Box
  10. Cheaper--The Californian--Everything I Have Don't Mean Nothing to Me Now
DISC 2:
  1. I Don't Know For Sure
  2. Tarantula
  3. Getting Better--Ready Let's Roll
  4. Cap'n Kirk
  5. Mudhouse--Unknown
  6. Unkown
  7. Assknocker--Sex Machine

No comments: