Tuesday, January 15, 2008

La Blogotheque: Very Legit

So I've been talking about this website for almost a year now, but I'm finally getting this out there for everyone to enjoy. There's a website where the beer flows like wine and the women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano...I'm talking about a little place called La Blogotheque (two Dumb and Dumber references in two days? I think I need to see that again...).

Housing a vast collection of videos directed by Vincent Moon, La Blogotheque's "Takeaway Shows" are stunning. The first time I heard of the site was due to an incredible performance by Arcade Fire in which the entire band crams into a service elevator to play "Neon Bible" as it travels through some building. Sandwiched between each other, they create their music by ripping pages out of a magazine, tapping the elevator walls, and playing their instruments ever so quietly. When the elevator opens, they step out into a throng of fans to play "Wake Up" inside a sea of people.



The Shins also have a phenomenal show on the streets of Paris. Basically, the band plays while walking down the sidewalk, stops in front of a cafe to play for the outdoor seating, finds an upper apartment courtyard for a quieter tune, and then rocks out in an apartment to my favorite song "Australia."

As amazing as these videos look, it's the sound that really makes me appreciate the quality of these videos. Watch the Shins' "Australia" and tell me where the mic is. No one is radio-ed up and the camera moves seamlessly throughout the apartment, even looking outside, while the audio is never interrupted. These guys are good.

I highly recommend The National's performance, as well as Andrew Bird's. There are so many videos, I haven't seen nearly enough, but explore and find some new music while you're at it.

Takeaway Shows

No comments: