There's also a very sensible, earthy, overly-self conscious (of late) musician named Bruce Springsteen. Bruce is a big fan of Warren's music, and I believe they were friends.
That's the background.
Listen, to be the greatest cover of all time you need a few things:
1) A great original song (not necessary to be by a prolific or consistently great musician)
2) A great and prolific musician covering it
3) It should be live, because that means at the time it blew a lot of surprised listeners' minds
4) Something to add some weight to it, like being friends with the original composer, and him having recently died.
Runners up for this title are:
1) Warren Haynes peforming 'Glory Road,' live at Bonnaroo 2006
2) Jeff Tweety performing 'I Shall Be Released,' live at Vic Theatre, Chicago, March 5, 2005
3) The Counting Crows doing Van Morrison's 'Caravan' live
4) The soon-to-be-released you tube video version of 'Me And Mr. Jones' performed by Little Dynamite
Here's the greatest one ever: 'My Ride's Here,' original by Zevon, covered by the Boss. This blog has gotten too into itself with posting thoughts and opinions, and we need to get back to sharing more music.