Wednesday, November 7, 2007

The Boss is Back

(note: these were my thoughts immediately after buying the new Bruce Springsteen album, Magic. I'm posting this post prior to my review of his amazing concert)

******

Well it's been less than 24 hours since I purchased Bruce's new CD with the E Street Band, Magic, and I can already tell you I'm impressed.

Very impressed.

There isn't a weak track on the album, starting strong and finishing smooth, reminiscent of Born to Run, the ultimate Bruce album in my opinion.

From the opening track and single, "Radio Nowhere," we are immediately drenched in classic Bruce sound. His growling voice signals a return to the original E Street style of thumping drums and wailing guitars, something missing for the last 20-odd years.

Now don't get me wrong, I loved The Rising, but it didn't bring me back to good old Bruce; for me, it was like Clapton's Pilgrim - an enjoyable project, but not exactly what I expect to hear when throwing on Springsteen (save for "The Rising" and "Lonesome Day").

So far, my favorite tracks have to be the hauntingly beautiful "Gypsy Biker" and "Livin' in the Future," a political rocker and a standout for Clarence. The harmonica on "Gypsy Biker" immediately sends me to a lost highway at night somewhere in Nebraska or Wyoming. Awesome.

"Girls in Their Summer Clothes" is a fun one and something that will no doubt be a great addition to Bruce's live repertoire. The one song I'm not a big fan of is "Your Own Worst Enemy." It's bearable, but not something that I would ever play outside of listening to the album straight through. The vocals just die on me and it's frankly a little annoying, but I wouldn't say it's a bad song (or course, this is about as close as I can come to ragging on a Bruce song).

Also, make sure to catch "Last to Die." An emotionally frantic tune that pierces your soul, this is exactly the type of song I had hoped to hear on this album. Well played Bruce.

I'm not going to post any songs from this CD since you should buy it anyways...if you don't buy this CD, you're letting the terrorists win. So ante up folks and purchase what you've been waiting for: a legendary album by one of today's last great legends.

No comments: