Monday, June 18, 2007

A Pretty Sweet BBQ disc and other father's day goodies


About a month ago, Jack The Rabbit wrote a piece regarding BBQ cds which are to be played on summer days when you have nothing to do but sip on a Sam's Summer, toss the football around, and take down a few burgers. The cd that I wish to discuss today should not be played in this setting. Instead, it is the ultimate cd to be played post BBQ, when everyone's still sitting out on the deck, still consuming brews, checking out some stars, solving the worlds problems. The CD is Sam Cooke, One-Night Stand: Live at the Harlem Square Club, 1963. I discovered it when my buddy played it post-BBQ on such a night as described above in Rio Grande City, Texas. On the CD, Cooke simply puts on a show; after you listen you'll probably never listen to one of his studio albums again. You feel like you're there. You feel the crowd getting into it, as they sing along on "Chain Gang." You feel Cooke feeding off their energy, and delivering his raw, yet silky smooth voice. And as Cooke says, "Don't fight the feeling."

And as a bonus, it kills in the 50 and over age group. I gave it to my pops for father's day, and we threw it on after dinner (on the deck) and mom and pops were straight groovin. Anyway, pick it up, throw it on, and if you feel like dancing, I won't fault you for it.

Track List

1. Soul Twist/Introduction
2. Feel It (Don't Fight It)
3. Chain Gang
4. Cupid
5. Medley: It's All Right/For Sentimental Reasons
6. Twistin' The Night Away
7. Somebody Have Mercy
8. Bring It On Home
9. Nothing Can Change This Love
10. Having a Party

Along with the Sam Cooke tunes, the old man received what I called "Dad's Rock 'n' Roll Mix." Often, when I play my dad tunes, he'll say, "I like it, but it's not really rock 'n' roll (keep in mind my dad's version of Rock 'n' Roll is Beatles, Stones, Clapton...not Replacements, Nick Cave...although I did put a song on by The Replacements front man...so I don't really know where I'm going with this)." So I threw together a mix with a little more punch, a little more tempo and a little less of my beloved nancy pants tunes (I still threw in a few of these however..just for a balanced cd). Here's what transpired:

1. Eddie's Gun - The Kooks
2. Midnight In Her Eyes - The Black Keys
3. Another Sunny Day - Belle And Sebastian
4. Oklahoma - Bob Schneider
5. Four Winds - Bright Eyes
6. Been There All The Time - Dinosaur Jr.
7. Chips Ahoy - The Hold Steady
8. I Want To Hold Your Hand - Al Green (This is a must have)
9. Josephine - Brandi Carlile
10. You Can Tell Georgia - Joe Purdy
11. When You Were Young - The Killers
12. Float On - Modest Mouse
13. Mr. November - The National
14. Love You In The Fall - Paul Westerberg
15. Murray - Pete Yorn
16. Consolation Prizes - Phoenix
17. London Girl - The Pogues
18. To Be Young - Ryan Adams
19. Australia - The Shins
20. Past In Present - Feist
21. Yellow Datsun - Neva Dinova

No comments: